The broad policy objectives of education and training in Tanzania as spelt out in the various policy documents are as follows:
- Development of integrative personalities
- Promotion of the acquisition and appreciation of national culture and of the constitution;
- Promotion of society-centered learning and the use of acquired skills and knowledge for the improvement of the quality of life;
- Development of self-confidence, inquiring mind, and development oriented mindset;
- Giving adaptive and flexible education that meets the challenges of a changing world;
- Encouraging love and respect for work of whatever type and improved productivity;
- Inculcating in learners ethical behavior, tenets of national unity, international co-operation, peace and justice and
- Fostering a rational management and use of the environment.
To realize these objectives, the government developed the Education and Training Sector Development Programme, which provides the framework for implementation of education and training goals. Specifically, the programme seeks to:
- Enhance partnership in the provision of education and training, through the deliberate effort of encouraging private agencies to participate in the provision of education, to establish and manage schools and other educational institutions at all levels.
- Broaden the financial base and cost-effectiveness of education and training through more effective control of government spending, cost-sharing and liberalization strategies
- Streamline and management structure of education by placing more authority and responsibility on schools, colleges universities, local communities, districts and regions.
- Provide quality education through curriculum review, improved teacher management and introduction and use of appropriate performance and assessment strategies.
- Strengthen the integration of formal and non-formal education relationship, by instituting knowledge comparability and inter-mobility within the two sub-sectors of education
- Increase access to education by focusing on equity issue with respect to women, groups and regions needs.
- Promote live-log education and training for job -creation and self-employment through increased quality and availability of opportunities for vocational education and training.
- Promote quality non-formal education and training through the improvement of folk development centers in terms of physical infrastructure, tutors education and improved tutor management.